Wikipedia defines volcano as an opening, or rupture, in a planet’s surface or crust, which allows hot magma, volcanic ash and gases to escape from below the surface. This may sound very difficult to put it into an experiment. However, a chemical reaction can create the appearance of a physical volcanic eruption. In this experiment, we will be able to see how a volcano erupts and how magma flows from the volcano.
How to make an instant erupting volcano?
In order to make an instant volcano, a chemical reaction should occur.
- 60 ml water
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- red food colouring
- few drops of detergent
- scissors or any sharp insrument
- tissue paper or newspaper
- Using an 8-inch plywood or cardboard, make a base of the volcano. This will also prevent the staining of surface when it erupts.
- On the plywood sheet or cardboard, make a volcano with paper mache or plaster.
- At the center of the base, place a bottle in an upright position. Remove the lid of the bottle.
- Using a sharp instrument, make ridges on the walls of the volcano to allow flow of lava.
- Let it dry for a few minutes.
- When the volcano is already formed and firm, mix water, detergent, vinegar and food coloring.
- Pour the mixture into the open bottle placed at the center placed on the base of the volcano.
- Wrap the baking soda in a tissue paper or newspaper.
- To make the volcano erupt, drop the wrapped baking soda into the bottle.
- Witness the eruption of the instant volcano.
RESULTS / ANALYSIS OF DATA
Know the chemical reaction that occurs during the eruption of the volcano. The volcanic eruption occurs due to the chemical reaction between vinegar and baking soda. This chemical reaction releases carbon dioxide which are the bubbles that formed and considered as the lava when the baking soda is dropped into the mixture of vinegar and water.
It is therefore concluded that a volcanic eruption can be put into an experiment and it is not that complicated. Making an instant erupting volcano is always possible. The hypothesis matched the results.
Leave a Comment