Mostly all foods need to be preserved through refrigeration. Since food is perishable, we have to make sure that we are eating the food that won’t compromise our health. While this is the usual routine, have you ever thought of knowing which food molds the fastest? In this 8th grade science fair project, we are going to determine which food loses its natural fresh condition faster.
From banana, milk, bread, and cheese – which of them molds the fastest?
Commonly, the milk will mold the fastest because it contains acid, a catalyst for decomposition.
- a small cabinet to put the samples in
- First prepare and take all your samples.
- Make sure they are not molded yet and that they are still fresh.
- Pour the milk in a glass and place it in the cabinet that you have chosen to use for your experiment.
- Take the banana, cheese and bread and place them in all separate dishes.
- Then put them in the same cabinet too.
- It is important for them to all be in the same place for more accurate results. With that, they will be having the same temperature too.
Check and observe the samples daily.
- Wait for 4 days to finalize the observations.
- Record your results.
RESULTS / ANALYSIS OF DATA
After 4 days, take a look at the samples. It should turn out that the milk will have the most number of molds. Check your notes when the milk started to mold. The cheese and bread should probably be showing signs of mold on the 4th day. Banana should have the least number of molds on the 4th day.
The hypothesis matched the results. Milk is the fastest when it comes to molding because it has these building compounds that triggers fast decomposition. However, your conclusion be based on the actual results of this 8th grade science fair project.