An example of a good 8th grade science fair project is to determine which battery lasts longer. Different brands of batteries will be tested and with the results, the longer-lasting battery will be identified. With this experiment, you will be able to find if the price of the battery has something to do with its power.
Which battery lasts the longest out of four different brands namely: Duracell, Energizer, Eveready and Panasonic?
It is assumed that he Duracell battery will last the longest because it is the most expensive one.
- four flashlights of the same type, size and brand.
- 2 pcs. D-size Duracell
- 2 pcs. D-size Energizer
- 2 pcs. D-size Eveready
- 2 pcs. D-size Panasonic
- two other D-size batteries to test each flashlight before starting the tests.
- Prepare all the materials needed.
- Test each of the flashlights by using the two test batteries.
- After testing, put the different batteries in each flashlight.
- Label each flashlight with the battery brand name.
- Turn on all the flashlights at the same time.
- Leave them on overnight.
- Note down the time that the flashlights were turned on.
- Make a monitoring form and check the flashlights hourly. If it is still on, just put a check mark on the time at the monitoring form.
- Watch the flashlights until they go out and will record the time.
RESULTS / ANALYSIS OF DATA
As long as the flashlight stayed lit and the length of time has been kept tracked until all of them goes off, then the experiment will show which battery will outlast all of the other batteries.
You may be able to come-up with a conclusion which battery lasted longer among the four and if its price affects its longer power. In this experiment, Duracell battery last the longest, thereby matching the hypothesis.